Sunday, August 30, 2015

Growth Mindset: Never Give Up


When look at the word mindset, I do not understand it. I looked it up in dictionary; the dictionary told me a mindset is a person’s attitude about something. After viewing the videos, I knew that the growth mindset is a process that people can develop a strong brain and a solid confidence.

Here is my personal experience about growth mindset. I do not have any learning experience of high school, middle school, and elementary school because I did not grow up in the US. However, my very first feeling of the US college education system was comfortable; actually I think it was way too comfortable. During the general education period, some courses are easy-A courses. I absolutely joined in the comfortable army; I spent no time outside the classroom, and I think most people did the same. However, I found situations changed very fast when I reached the junior level in the Price College of Business. I need to finish a degree candidacy to be admitted to take upper level courses; the application did require a stronger GPA, which some careless students might not have. As a result, when I went to Price, I did not see some familiar faces. Class grading changed as well; most of the upper level courses were graded based on where your grade was ranked in a class. An average B grades was the most popular way, but some professors DO NOT adjust grades, which was the reason I failed in the Legal Study of Business course. Such frustration was a valuable experience for me; I re-take the course and I started to learn very hard and I got A’s from some hard courses like Investment. I am currently thinking about taking an MIS major since it is very challenge major and has a great job secure. I can make it for sure if I keep working hard on it.


In China, students learn from frustrations, but almost nobody encourages us. In the US, encouragements and rewards are very common, but frustrations are rare. If frustrations and encouragements could be combined together, I think educations in both countries can be much better. Carol Dweck has a really good foresight on this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment