Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Week 7 Storytelling: Amba's Story Part 1


Amba is a daughter of the Kashi King. She and her two younger sisters are princesses of the Kashi Kingdom. Amba has a secret that she is covertly falling in love with the Salva, king of Saubala.

Bhishma has a nephew brother who is in the age of marriage. However, his nephew is still young and weak, so Bhishma decides to help him find wife. By defeating Salva, Bhishma wins all three princesses and takes them back to his kingdom. While Bhishma is on the way home, Amba is in extremes of anxiety.

“Why is this? I am in love with Salva! I do not want to marry anyone other than Salva. No, I have to talk with Bhishma. I hope he will let me go.” Amba says to herself.

When they take a short break on the road, Amba meets Bhishma and tells him the secret that she already fell in love with King Salva.

“Could you let me go back to Salva? Please! I cannot imagine the life without my Salva! ” Amba begs.

Bhishma thinks for a while and agrees. “I respect your love. You can go now.”

“Thank you for your generosity! My two sisters will be your nephew’s good queens.” Amba seethes. Then she leaves to Kashi.

But things are not like in the planned way she had first thought. When she goes to Salva, Salva thinks it would be a burning shame if he accepts a woman who is previously taken away from him in the legal way. Salva has to reject Amba for his reputation.

“What could I do? Where should I go? I am abandoned by my love.” Amba is very sad and she finds his dad, hoping his dad will take her in. His dad, nonetheless, refuses to take her in because Kashi King thinks Amba is disgracing his family. The Kashi King thinks the fight result is sacred; Amba is now legally owned by Bhishma.

Amba is in desperation and hopelessness. The last way she finds is going back to Bhishma and marrying Bhishma. Suddenly she feels that could be a good plan, but she does not know Bhishma’s oath.

“I am yours, Bhishma. I will marry you.” Amba finds Bhishma and tells him her current situation.

“I cannot. I vowed not to be married in my life. The reason I did the fight is to find wife for my nephew. My oath can never be changed. ” Bhishma tells Amba the truth.

Amba is shocked. She leaves without a word. Although many people are responsible for her unfortunate encounters, Amba has a conclusion that Bhishma is the most responsible one.

“I am not able to have love and family anymore. The only thing I want to do in my life is revenge on Bhishma. His death is my destiny.” Amba whispers to herself and she does not realize what a dreadful decision she has made.



Author’s Notes:
I got my inspiration from the film PeterBrook's Mahabharata. Though the reading assignment in this week does not have too much about Amba, I want to share this character. Amba’s decision is actually Bhishma’s end. She is able to kill Bhishma in the end to fulfill her oath. This storytelling is only the beginning. I will continue to write more in the following weeks.

Biography:

3 comments:

  1. Good job employing dialogue. There are a few places that you can consolidate your word choice. For instance instead of saying “Amba has a conclusion,” you can say “Amba concludes.” Instead of saying, “Amba has a secret that she is covertly falling in love with the Salva, king of Saubala.” You could say, “Amba was secretly in love with Salva, king of Saubala.” Make your word choice succinct when possible. I like that you tell Amba’s story because she is a minor character. Don’t be afraid to add your own twists into the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed your story this week so good job there. At times I did find your verb tense choice awkward so maybe read it out loud next time and see how the flow of your story works. But the plot was very interesting. I also enjoyed the use of dialogue and the structure of your story. You're font was large which made it significantly easier to read, which I also enjoyed. Good job this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi youhao,
    I really enjoyed reading your story. I had previously read the story about Amba, which came in Amar chitra kadha. I thought Amba’s character was very brave. I liked how you picked this character. I didn’t find any spelling mistakes in your storytelling. I am excited to read more stories like this. You are very creative. Good luck on your future stories 

    ReplyDelete