Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Week 10 Storytelling: A Kind Thief


It was a wonderful night. People went home after their day shifts. Kids were having fantastic dreams.  
All of a sudden, a furtive guy walked into an apartment complex. He carefully watched the light in rooms and checked vehicles outside apartment. Eventually he selected room 633 as his target.
“Good day for me! It looks nobody is inside, “the thief said tiredly, “I can get a long break after this one.”
He took out his tools for that type of lock. However when he was about to unlock the door of 633, he suddenly smells smoke through the door.
“Damn it, “the thief said quietly and angrily, “I spent many days to find out this family’s schedule. Now I have to leave before cops came. What a bad luck!”
Meanwhile he heard something strange, so the thief listened at the door for a moment. He found the sound was a kid’s crying. The thief wanted to save the kid but he did not want to get into trouble. When he was hesitating, the fire alarm started ringing and neighbors were coming out and seeing what is happening.
“It looks very urgent. The kid may be killed by smoke before help comes,” a woman said, “Shall we smash this door to save the kid?”
Everybody agreed and they started smashing the door; however, the door has a very good quality and they cannot even made the door loose.
“Let me try! They called me to come here for fixing their lock. I think I can open the door.” the thief said quickly and tensely. Others all agreed as they cannot open the door by using force. The thief took out his tool and cracked the lock very fast. A man rushed in the room and took the kid out; the kid was still crying but alive.
Now the cops and firefighters eventually arrived. They controlled and eliminated the fire quickly.
“You are a true hero, man! We may have lost the kid without your help,” a police officer thanked to the thief and asked, “Are you on a night shift? You have a tired look.”
“Yeah…you know…tough times. I have to work more on these days to support my family,” he responded in hesitate. “I am actually going to find a new job tomorrow. I do not like what my life looks like today.”

“Well, good luck on your interview! I will be on my patrol duty,” the officer said to him and patted him on the shoulder. “Remember your kindness will give you a payback; wickedness does not go altogether unrequited.”

Author's Note:
I was inspired by the two stories in the third goblin. The argument about men and women made me think about kindness of human. I use the story about the bad woman as a reference. I create a thief with the same goodness in my story.
Biography:

5 comments:

  1. I liked how your story demonstrates moral fluidity. It shows that someone can be a thief but not a bad person. This was demonstrated by the thief choosing to save the child, even though he had hesitation on it. It also helped that he was pressured into saving the boy by the surrounding people during the time of the crime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Youhao, we both are doing same readings. I read the story you based your storytelling off. When I read about the thief, I realized it had to do something with the third story and I went ahead and read the author’s note and it confirmed what I was thinking. Good story, I really enjoyed reading your story.  Have fun with the readings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Youhao. I was really excited to read your story because we're doing really different readings. I like how your story ended on a really happy note and we see that the thief can turn his life around. Like Brynn said, this is a really great example of how morality can change and how people can be change their values. I look forward to seeing more of your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great story! I loved how the main character transformed throughout the story from a thief who makes a living by stealing from others, to a good person that is viewed as a hero. It sets a great example for the reader and serves as a feel good story, showing that people can change and that just because you are in a bad circumstance doesn't mean that you're a bad person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Youhao! I really enjoyed this story. It's one of those quick stories that gets across a good point. Life is hard for people sometimes causing them to do things they shouldn't or wouldn't normally do but this does not mean they are bad people. It's a great example of how people deserve second chances and can turn around their lives. Great story!

    ReplyDelete