Thursday, October 1, 2015

Week 6 Storytelling: Bhishma's fall

Image source: Bhishma Falls

Bhishma told his enemy the way to defeat him.

“If Arjuna shoots me when he is behind Shikhandi, Amba’s currently avatar, then I cannot do anything to fight back. Shikhandi was a female in his previous cycle, I would not hurt him.”

On day 10, Pandu let Shikhandi stand in front of the battle. And all the soldiers were charging to Bhishma under commander’s order. Bhishma killed countless enemies; however Shikhandi has approached Bhishma during the fight. Bhishma did not try to dodge Shikhandi’s attack, nor did he shoot one arrow to Shikhandi. 

“Maybe my time is coming. What a long epic journey it has been. I die today not because I am weak; I die today for my family, for my kingdom, and for my oath.” Bhishma told to himself.

Thus Bhishma stopped fighting with Arjuna. Arjuna destroy Bhishma’s bow and javelin. Then Bhishma took his sword and shield and wanted to jump down, attempting to fight on the ground. Arjuna nevertheless break Bhishma’s sword and shield, so all the soldiers started attacking Bhishma from all sides. Bhishma is finally defeated with uncountable arrows on his body, falling from his chariot in the setting sun. 

The war suddenly freeze and the sun is in shadow. Everyone’s heart was falling as Bhishma was falling. All the soldiers lower their heads in sadness. Commanders of both sides put their weapons off; they came to Bhishma with respect and saluted Bhishma solemnly. Bhishma’s body did not touch the ground as so many arrows in his body. He lied on the bed of arrow, which was the highest honor of a warrior.

Bhishma spoke to those who stood in front of him. “My head is not comfortable. Give me a warrior’s pillow!”

Some people brought few cushions, but Bhishma rejected for those were not warrior’s pillow. Then Arjuna took three arrows from his quiver and stuck them into ground. With the sharp arrowheads supporting his head, Bhishma said gladly.

“This is the pillow I want! Do not heal me. Let me die and burn me with these arrows.”
Pandus and Gurus were sitting together around Bhishma as guards. Kings saluted Bhishma with their most respect. 

“I am thirsty.” Bhishma said.

Some soldiers gave Bhishma water and food but Bhishma rejected them. Again, Arjuna understood Bhishma’s thought; he shot an arrow to the ground. The ground was split and water welled from ground to Bhishma’s mouth. 

End.

Author’s Notes:

I did not change the original storyline because I like Bhishma’s loyalty and good moral character. I focus on writing the scene after he is defeated on the battlefield. Two sides of the war respect Bhishma, and Bhishma accepted his fate as he died.

Bibliography:


Image: Bhishma on the bed of arrows. 

3 comments:

  1. This was an interesting story and I enjoyed how you stayed true to the original. You were able to keep the same tone throughout the story with your word usage and sentence structure, which made the story flow really well. I especially liked the part where all of the warriors were respectful as he fell. It was very well-written and also sad. You stayed true to the story, but you also expanded upon it with details that flowed well with the original. Overall, this was a great story! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi YouHao, I really enjoyed your storytelling for this week. I haven’t read this part of reading diary yet, so I don’t know what exactly happened in the original story. Your story telling made me want to finish up the reading and read the rest of the story. I liked your way of story telling. It was interesting. I hope to read more of your stories.

    ReplyDelete