Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Reading Diary B: Sita Sings the Blues

After being rejected by her husband Rama for a second time, 
Sita is taken into the earth by her mother, the goddess Bhumi. 
Rama, his brother Lakshmana, his two sons, and two sages look on in shock.
After watching the rest of the film, I learnt more about the story of Rama and Sita after Rama’s exile ends.

After the exile, Rama came back and become the king; Sita became his Queen. However Rama is not actually the perfect husband. He still questioned Sita’s loyalty after knowing Sita was in pregnancy. Rama wanted Sita to do the second trial to prove Sita’s purity. I personally think this is ridiculous because Sita had passed the fire trial and it should be convinced enough. I guess Rama might have changed after he became the king. Moreover, one thing I do not understand is how a laundry man can question the Queen Sita’s loyalty. I thought there should be some classes during that time’s India in the book; I thought a laundry man should had respect to the Queen.

I wish to read more about Rama’s two sons in the future. For this week, I may do the storytelling based on Sita’s thoughts when she heard Rama still did not trust her. Sita’s inner struggles will be very complicated. Sita truly loved Rama, but this was the last way, the only way that she could use to prove her purity. 

2 comments:

  1. It is sad that Sita has to prove her purity it the first place. She was the one who was kidnapped. Her kidnap was without her consent. She is the victim here. It was not fair that Rama had also stayed away from Sita for fourteen years and Rama did not have to prove his purity. His subjects doubt Sita but not Rama.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think what Rama did to Sita was unfair and cruel. I do understand that that was the mindset back in that time period. I still wish that Rama was there for Sita and stood up for Sita when she needed him the most.

    ReplyDelete