Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Reading Diary B: Battles

Today’s reading assignment is more interesting than what I read yesterday. The reason is that I love reading combat scene and imagine it in my mind; I really enjoy doing so. As a result, my favorite two stories are the Battle with Khara and the Viradha. These two combat stories really draw my attention.

In the story of the Viradha, Sita was kidnapped by a demon named Viradha. Rama and Lakshamana were chasing the demon to save Sita. The demon is a rakshasa, who is almost immune to physical damage. Indeed, Rama’s arrows cannot hurt the demon, so Rama and Lakshamana have to break the demon’s body piece by piece. However, the demon cannot die even though he is heavily wounded. When Rama finally killed the Viradha, the Viradha said his curse, the curse made him into a Viradha, is lifted by Rama and he was going to heaven.

The Battle with Viradha.
Illuminated Ramayana ms., circa 1700,
in the Huntington Archive

The other story is more like a war. Khara was returning with an army for vengeance. But Rama are not afraid of them; by using the power if the great celestial weapon, Rama killed thousands of enemies and ignited Khara. He won in glory and protected his wife and brother.

In my storytelling, the current plan is to combine these two combats together. Maybe I combine the enemies into one super enemy. I will create a story that is very different from the original two stories.  I have starts doing the main structure of my story; I hope it will be another good combat story.

No comments:

Post a Comment