Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Storytelling of Week 4: Sita's Return to the Earth Mother




Sita is very happy since she just knows she is pregnant; having children with her beloved Rama is always her wish after getting married with Rama.

However, rumor was around. When Sita was out of the Palace and walking around, she was accused by a laundry man for questioning her loyalty to the King Rama. Sita was in grievance because she was already passed the fire trial and she knew she truly loved Rama. She explained that to the man, but the man was still criticizing her and yelling his thoughts to passing-by people. As a result, the rumor spread very fast and Rama heard about it finally. Rama found Sita and said to her.

"My Sita, I heard about some rumors recently. Most of them are about your purity. Although you are the Queen, I need an explanation."

"Both of us know those are just rumors, and you know my love is only belonging to you."

"I trust you, Sita. However my citizens do not trust you. I cannot just kill them to stop the rumor, or I would become a tyrant. Will you want me to become a tyrant, Sita? Would you prove your purity not for me but for everyone this time? "

“It is as you wish, my dear Rama. Send me to jungle and I will do the trial. Maybe it will be the last one." Sita spoke to Rama with hidden sorrow, and Rama did not feel it.

The fire trial could not be used again because Sita has passed it. The only option for her would be the trial of Earth Mother. Sita knew she was in purity, so the Earth Mother will take her back for sure. She knew she could not meet his husband and children anymore after the trial. However, for her and her husband's reputations, she decided to do that after giving birth.

Sita told her two children their father’s epic stories. Someday, Sita felt that her time had come because Rama was nearby. When she sensed that Rama was approaching her, she hugged her sons and said:

“Farewell, my dear sons. It is me who make this decision. Do not blame your father. He is a great man. We will meet again someday, but that day is not today. Take care!”

Then, Sita began to channel the spell of the trial. “The great Earth Mother, if I am truly pure, please takes me back to your womb!”

Suddenly, the ground where Sita stood opened and the avatar of the Earth Mother appeared. A light come out and Sita was shrouded by the warm light. Rama was running as fast as he could, but he was not able to touch Sita anymore, nor could he speak the last word to Sita.


Author's Note

I stayed very close to the original storyline from the film. The story in the film is slightly different from the Ramayana I read. The change I made is re-telling the old story in Sita’s view. I made the change because the original story has little description of Sita’s thought. After Rama questions her purity and loyalty again, what would Sita think about it? I thought Sita would be sad but her love of Rama will make her to prove her purity, even though the price is very high.

In the original story, there were rumors about Sita’s pregnancy; some people thought Sita was not loyal to their King Rama, so they gave a very big pressure on Rama and Sita. As a king now, Rama also requested his wife to prove her purity one more time. Sita agreed and went into a jungle; she was give birth to her children by herself and teaching children about Rama’s story. When the time came, Sita called the Earth Mother and she was taken back because she was truly loyal to Rama.

The image I selected is the scene of Sita’s return to the earth mother. I chose it because the very moment is significant for the story; and Rama was regretting what he had done to Sita.
I did the storytelling since I wanted my readers to know that Sita is a great woman and her love to Rama is unbreakable. It has some relation with my project because I will emphasize Sita’s love in my storybook.

Bibliograph
y:Sita Sings the Blues

2 comments:

  1. I agree the movie helped revisit and repaint the story. Seeing it is slightly different. I wonder what she did after she went into the Earth. Great retelling! Sad though that Rama didn't just continue to be with her. It feels like she kept getting kicked out. The movie was a bit different but it did help with better understanding things. I think your retelling does a good job of clearly stating what is going on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Youhao, I think this was a really nice retelling of the story. You were really faithful to the original, but by having the narrator focus on Sita, her emotions, and her plans, you really fleshed her out as a character. It's interesting to think that Sita had planned on returning to Mother Earth even before she lived in the jungle with her sons. I hope you liked the movie; it was such a creative way to tell the story of the Ramayana!

    ReplyDelete